Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mermaid - Peyote or Brick Stitch Amulet Bag Pattern



This tiny mermaid-themed amulet bag measures only 1-1/4"x1-3/4" using Matsunos (it would be even smaller in Delicas). It works up very quickly in tubular peyote stitch and requires few beads. The photo is enlarged so you can see the detail.


Basic Information


Tubular Peyote (could could use Brick stitch and do the pattern on its side or use flat peyote and stitch the sides of the bag)

Finished Size About 1-1/4" x 1-3/4" using Matsuno size 11 seed beads

Colors Shown

Opaque Blue (waves)

Opaque Jade Green (rock)

Opaque Light Green (rock)

Opaque Turquoise (dress, wave swirl, eyes)

Opaque Light Blue (dress)

Opaque Yellow (crown)

Rainbow Translucent Orange (hair)

Rainbow Translucent Ruby (lips)

Pearl Purple (background)

Pearl Peach (flesh)



Comments

I recommend using a very pale background color as opposed to the pearl purple that I used (because it's my daughter's favorite color). I beaded a slightly different version of this pattern, in which the blue border framed one side of the bag and not the other. However, when I drew the pattern up, I felt that a border on both sides would be nice. You could center the mermaid with the crown by moving her up and to the right one row, but then her crown will touch the top border... whatever you prefer. The bag is stitched in tubulur peyote and then folded in half. The bottom of the bag 'zips' for easy stitching. I'll add another photo when I have completed the strap and fringe. Enjoy!
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: